Archive

Archive for the ‘eclipse’ Category

Eclipse high display scale (DPI) – ‘tactical’ fix for Windows

March 26, 2016 Leave a comment

I Eventually found a fix that seems to work for eclipse Mars (2) and Neon builds. It doesn’t seem to have any impact on Eclipse Luna (great shame i was trying to get IBM RSA 9.5 which is based on Luna to scale – failed back to IBM for an upgrade path).  But if you are doing general development work with eclipse on windows with high DPI screen this is massive improvement – it makes it all usable again.

My laptop is running Windows 10, but i suspect this works for Windows 8/8.1 just the same, but i no longer have such a build to try it on.

Essentially this is just a re-post of the answer i found here referenced fix

To get this to work you have to first make an edit to your registry  as follows.  You have to add a new key, and set its value to 1 (true), as follows. The registry structure up to the SideBySide entry should already be in existence when you navigate in the registry browser.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\PreferExternalManifest (DWORD) to 1

The next thing you have to do is to create a new text file in the same directory as your eclipse.exe installation.
The file should be called eclipse.exe.manifest and have the following ‘magic’ text cut and past and then saved.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
    <description>eclipse</description>
    <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
        <security>
            <requestedPrivileges>
                <requestedExecutionLevel xmlns:ms_asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3"
                               level="asInvoker"
                               ms_asmv3:uiAccess="false">
                </requestedExecutionLevel>
            </requestedPrivileges>
        </security>
    </trustInfo>
    <asmv3:application>
        <asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">
            <ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware xmlns:ms_windowsSettings="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">false</ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware>
        </asmv3:windowsSettings>
    </asmv3:application>
</assembly>

Then stand back and pray. Double click your eclipse.exe file and it should come up
looking as it would in the ‘good’ old days, and the icons will to be legible.

I am sure Neon is supposed to have proper SWT full DPI scaling and detection on release, but i tried Neon-M5 today, and it was still
illegible. This tactical fix makes it work for now – hoorah.

Proxy Management for Gradle, Eclipse and Grails…

March 19, 2014 1 comment

This is an ever thorny subject and scope for much pain for users including myself

So thought i’d catalog the best way to set this up when working behind a firewall

starting with
Gradle

Best way for gradle is to add gradle.properties file into into the root of your project or into into USER_HOME/.gradle (user wide config)

basic attributes you may need to set are gradle.properties

systemProp.http.proxyHost=www.somehost.org
systemProp.http.proxyPort=8080
systemProp.http.proxyUser=userid
systemProp.http.proxyPassword=password

then refresh the dependencies (say from within your eclipse build with Gradle project support enabled)

Grails Projects

For Grails projects (v2 onwards) you can creat a ProxySettings.groovy file in the “${userHome}/.grails/scripts/ProxyConfig.groovy” directory and refresh the grails dependencies (note: this is global to all projects) where the file format is like this

MyProxy=['http.proxyHost':'xx.xx.xx.xx', 'http.proxyPort':'8080', 'http.proxyUser':'', 'http.proxyPassword':'', 'http.nonProxyHosts':'my_maven_server']
currentProxy='MyProxy'

alternatively you are supposed to be able run the following commands on grails

grails add-proxy proxyConf –host=proxy-server –port=4300
–username=guest –password=guest
grails set-proxy proxyConf

though i’m not certain that i have had this work in call cases but adding the file seems to.

lastly if that doesn’t work – you can try and edit your projects /conf/BuildConfig.groovy and add the following to that file

System.properties.putAll([
   "http.proxyHost": "myproxy.hostname.com",
    "http.proxyPort": "8080",
    "http.proxyUserName": "myUser",
    "http.proxyPassword": "myPass"
])

Eclipse itself

best i have found Eclipse itself is to add the proxy in the eclipse.ini file (or GGTS.ini etc ) with your eclipse build

you need to be careful – there can be no spaces round the definition else Eclipse doesn’t seem to read it correctly

You need to specify the following options below the -vmargs option in the .ini file, each on a separate line and spare whitespace at the end etc
-Dhttp.proxyPort=8080
-Dhttp.proxyHost=www.somehost.org
-Dhttp.proxyUser=mydomain\myusername
-Dhttp.proxyPassword=mypassword
-Dhttp.nonProxyHosts=localhost|127.0.0.1

and if this doesnt work you can try adding
-Dorg.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.excludeContributors=org.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer

and try again.

Good luck

%d bloggers like this: